April 3, 2011

family vs career



Thinking back to 2009, 
......at St Margaret's College, during the Post Formal Dinner Drink:

I received a question from one of the students.

Nigel: I have a question for Jung Hee. What do you see youself doing in five years time?
silence....
Me: Erm... I think I will be a part-time dentist raising three children somewhere warm.

People laughed. And I kinda understand why. For them, hearing this from a young dentist who has just started her career life would've sounded a bit ridiculous.

...B. Wilkens, wife of G. Wilkens, a cardiologist in DPH graduated Otago Uni with double major degrees in Law and French. She seemed to be such a professional and academic woman yet she became a full time mum when she had her first child. Ever since then she has been a good caring mother of six. The first two children are in med school, and the last wee girl is in kindergarten.

She was truly an inspiring woman, she instantly became my role model. While she was talking about her life, she showed her strong belief - that she does not regret giving up her career and this is what she will do if she's to start a new family. I strongly agree, I felt very warm and well supported. Of course realistically she was able to do that as her husband was someone who can support the family by himself. Hmmm. I need a rich husband too lol I think I'm getting one... lucky!!!!! :p

After I blurted out my very honest answer to more than forty people in the common room, I did wonder... How am I supposed to find a husband, get married and end up with 3 children within five years? This dream of mine did not sound realistic at all..

Though I received comments such as, Oh you will have no problem finding one, very good answer, well done, or she's so lovely, she will find one soon, I really had no idea how it's all going to work out. Sounds so silly hearing myself saying all this right now huh..

Well, I've got three years to go to have three children. Really... that's not going to happen. Perhaps I would like to continue growing up with my career for a bit longer. But still, my belief towards familly vs career has not changed. It probably never will. Not that I'm not a determined career woman, but I love the role of supporting and providing care for my family. A warm wife and mother who'd be there all the time. *iLIKE*

No comments: